Monday, October 31, 2011

TV Theme Songs

So I was watching Survivor last week (yes, I still watch Survivor, get over it), and I realized that it deeply upsets me that CBS doesn't play the full Survivor opening credits anymore (except for maybe during the premiere and finale episodes). Survivor's theme song has always been one of my favorites on television, to the point where I actually downloaded an mp3 of it many many years ago.

Anyway, this realization got me thinking about other favorite theme songs/opening credits of mine, which I will now lovingly share with you all. And for those who are curious, I judge my favorites on the basis of whether or not I fast forward through the 30-ish second intro on my DVR. For the following shows I never ever fast forward through the intro.

[DISCLAIMER: This post in no way portrays itself as a list of the best theme songs of all time...it simply lists some of my favorite theme songs]

1. Survivor (duh)



This is the opening credits for the current season of Survivor. Every season's theme varies slightly, but the integrity of the song remains the same.

2. Veronica Mars

Original:



Season 3 remix:



While Veronica Mars' theme song remains one of my all-time favorites, I know the darkening/emo-ing of it in Season 3 was a highly controversial move. I, personally, fell in the camp of loving the edited theme song but I know there are many who don't. I just thought the mood of the theme fit the darker mood of Season 3 perfectly. Those who agree/disagree - discuss in the comments.

3. Hawaii Five-O



Yes, I faithfully watch the reboot of Hawaii Five-O. So sue me. Now I fully acknowledge that the original intro is definitely the more "classic" of the two, but I chose to include the current version of it because it reminds me of the most beautiful place in the world that I was lucky enough to call home for one year.

4. Parenthood



You guys, I'll just go ahead and say it: Parenthood is my favorite show on TV right now. Without LOST I feel lost (lolz), and Parenthood is the only thing that comes close to filling that void. That could be why I love the theme song so much, but I think it has more to do with the fact that Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" is so iconic, and the fact that I absolutely love the baby/childhood pictures of the actors on the show.

5. The Office



Absolute perfection. Also, the source of one of my favorite stories of all time: back in college (senior year, I believe) this was my cell phone ring tone. A dear friend of mine, whom we shall call "S", knew it as my ring tone first and foremost, rather than as The Office theme. When we graduated and she moved to DC, someone living next door to her apparently marathoned The Office on DVD regularly. She told me that at first she thought someone had the same ringtone as me and their phone just went off every 30 minutes. Lol.

6. Friday Night Lights



Unfortunately, I couldn't find the actual television sequence for the FNL opening credits on youtube so this will have to do. This theme song is absolutely one of the most beautiful pieces of music written for television (composed by W.G. Snuffy Walden, but inspired by the music of Explosions in the Sky), and is absolute perfection in setting the mood for the show.

7. Friends



duh.

8. [Guest Entry] True Blood



Now, let's be honest, I don't actually watch True Blood because it completely creeps me out. But when I asked my bff K for her entry into the list she suggested this. And while I have a hard time even watching the entire opening sequence (why so much blood WHY), I have to admit it's pretty captivating. And according to K, it sets up the tone of the show perfectly.

Well that's all I've got for you today, folks! I'm sure I will think of approx 203984293 more theme songs that I love (Fresh Prince, West Wing, etc.) but I'm bored of writing this post right now and need to cut myself off before I get so bored that I stop posting entirely.

Comment away!

No comments: